Shoulder clicking is a common problem that can occur due to a variety of reasons such as injury, overuse, or poor posture. It can be quite uncomfortable and even painful, and if left untreated, it can lead to further complications.
The most common cause of clicking shoulders is impingement of tendons. When tendons in the shoulder become inflamed, they can rub against bony structures in the shoulder, resulting in a popping or snapping sound.
Weakness of the rotator cuff muscles can contribute to clicking of the shoulders. Strengthening these muscles will improve stability of the shoulder joint, which can help reduce risk of injury and improve shoulder function.
Clicking shoulders can be caused by various factors, including:
Rotator cuff injuries
The signs and symptoms of clicking shoulders can vary depending on the underlying cause. Some common signs and symptoms include:
- Clicking or popping sound: This is the most common symptom of clicking shoulders. You may hear a clicking or popping sound when you move your shoulder.
- Pain: You may experience pain or discomfort in your shoulder when you move it. Stiffness: You may notice that your shoulder feels stiff or difficult to move.
- Weakness: You may experience weakness in your shoulder, making it difficult to perform certain activities.
- Limited range of motion: You may find that your shoulder has a limited range of motion, making it difficult to perform certain movements.
- Numbness or tingling: In some cases, you may experience numbness or tingling in your arm or hand, which may be a sign of nerve involvement.
How We Can Help
If you’re looking to rehabilitate your shoulder pain, please enroll into our Bulletproof Your Shoulders Rehab Program!
This 12 week shoulder rehab program includes easy to follow exercises and stretches (accessible through our app) and completely takes the need out of guessing what exercises work for you. Best of all, it only requires 10 – 15 minutes every other day!
Or if you’re located in the Toronto area, book an appointment with one of our health care practitioners to get started in developing a personalized rehab plan for your clicking shoulders and/or shoulder pain.