Sciatica is a common condition that causes pain, numbness, and weakness in the lower back, buttocks, and legs. It is typically caused by irritation or compression of the sciatic nerve, which is the largest nerve in the body. Sciatica can be caused by a variety of factors, including a herniated disc, spinal stenosis, and piriformis syndrome.
Signs and symptoms of sciatica may include:
- Pain that radiates down the leg
- Tingling or numbness in the leg or foot
- Weakness in the leg or foot
- Difficulty standing up or sitting down
- Difficulty walking or bending
- Pain that worsens when sitting
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, it’s important to consult a healthcare professional for further evaluation and treatment.
There are several treatment options available for sciatica, including:
- Physiotherapy: A physiotherapist can help you develop a treatment plan that includes stretches, exercises, and other techniques to relieve sciatica pain.
- Chiropractic care: Chiropractic adjustments can help alleviate pressure on the sciatic nerve and improve mobility.
- Massage therapy: Massage can help relax muscles and improve circulation, which may help reduce sciatica pain.
- Acupuncture: This ancient Chinese practice involves the insertion of thin needles into specific points on the body to promote healing and pain relief.
Three Exercises for Sciatica Pain Relief
How We Can Help
It’s important to remember that every case of sciatica is different, so the best course of treatment will depend on the individual. Don’t let sciatica pain hold you back any longer – take steps to find relief today.
If you’re looking to rehabilitate from sciatica, please enroll into our Bulletproof your Lower Back Rehab Program!
This 12 week lower back rehab program includes easy to follow exercises and stretches (accessible through our app) and completely takes the guesswork out of the way. Best of all, it only requires 10 – 15 minutes every other day!
Or if you’re located in the Toronto area, book an appointment with one of our health care practitioners to get started in developing a personalized rehab plan for your sciatica and lower back pain!